Monday, January 14, 2008

The Ultimate Scottish Vacation: Day Eight

Oban: I've mentioned Oban a few times on this site and it is with good reason. Oban is one of my favorite places on earth. The town has a real European feel to it and a great sea front view. You can hop a ferry and go to the Isle of Mull. Mull is a fantastic place as well.
Enjoying Oban (relax and take it in)
Oban harbor
You can take a small boat tour from the harbor to see the seal colony just off shore. You'll love it, not just for the seals but for the chance to get so close to the water and see Oban from the water in an open boat. The ferry is nothing more than a big bus. So enjoy the ocean in the tour boats, at least once while you stay there.
Seals at the Seal Colony off of Oban Harbor


Enjoying the sights on the train
One of the best train rides is from Glasgow to Oban. On the return, you will experience a sunset that will blow you away. I literally almost cried the last time I returned from Oban. The sun sets and creates a purple hue as you fly through the hilly countryside. It is a moving experience. Put on an iPod and enjoy it. You will never forget it.

The train ride from Oban is fantastic.
Click on the video below and see Day Eight and the beautiful sights of Oban.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The sunset over Oban bay, in fact anywhere in the West Highlands, is indeed a sight that'll stop you in your tracks. You could have been looking over my shoulder when I wrote the home page for my fledgling website http://www.obanargyll.com/ .
(hope this doesn't seem like self promotion - I just felt I had to comment.) I'm born and raised in Oban and with the exception of a few years chasing the bright lights have lived here forever. I love the place with a passion and it delights me when I find visitors being spellbound by it's charm. I could probably write another 200 + words but waffled enough already! Oban rocks !!

Add to My Yahoo!
www.executivegiftshoppe.com

Music for your soul

Photos from scottish4ever1

Surveillance-Video - Home Video Security System