Sunday, January 27, 2008

BLACK CURRANT: Scottish food



One thing I found frustrating while in Scotland was the jam I could buy. I could not find regular grape jelly. Welch's does not sell anything overseas and so, concord grape jelly is out.


The only thing close was black currant jam. And if you ever had it, you may like it but I find it too tart and did not mix well with peanut butter.


I would make a sandwich and go for a hike. Unfortunately, I would take out my sandwich, start to eat it and my face would pucker up with dislike for the fruity jam. It ruined my PB&J.


You could find other jams such as strawberry and raspberry, but I'm a grape jelly guy.


If you stay in Scotland for a vacation it is not a big deal. You can handle the black currant for a week or two. In fact, don't miss a Scottish breakfast if you can help it. The breakfasts are fantastic and will get into more of that tomorrow.
But if you had to eat black currant as your own grape-like jam, you'd get sick of it as well. It's an American thing I guess.
If you have a peanut butter and jam sandwich this week, think about the wonderful taste you take for granted.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lots of other wonderfull scottish made jams, at least you know its made there from local produce. I hope you enjoyed your trip,aye its a weird, and yet a wonderfull place.Thank you for making the trip. Haste ye Back

Add to My Yahoo!
www.executivegiftshoppe.com

Music for your soul

Photos from scottish4ever1

Surveillance-Video - Home Video Security System