Thursday, January 31, 2008

Scottish groceries: A few suggestions

A few last grocery ideas.

The lamb steak is awesome in Scotland. Anything with lamb is good in my book from lamb curry to lamb mince (which I put in spagetti sauce). However, the mince gives off an odd smell when cooked. The mince is inexpensive. The lamb steak on the other hand, is expensive. It is odd for a country full of sheep to have such high lamb prices but that's just the way it is.

I've never had a deep fried Mars bar, because my cholesterol level would kill me afterward. But a deep fried Mars bar is supposedly the coveted cuisine of the tourist looking to experience the unique ways of Scots. I always suggest keeping something in your travel bag to help you fend off hunger. You'd be better off filling up with candy than go into a restaurant or grocery store famished.

You can get Haggis, Neeps and Tatties in the frozen foods but it is not worth it. As you experience haggis in your travels you will experience the different quality. You will know what a good haggis tastes like if you have been properly served in a fine restaurant or B&B. For your first taste of haggis, don't go to the frozen food aisle or buy a can. Bring a can back or open one up after you've had the better haggis. Your first experience should be pleasant. A fresh haggis can taste wonderful. Even my wife agrees, there is a difference in haggis and a quality dinner is very good.


You may look at the rows of soup and not know what brand to buy. I actually preferred the cheaper soup, Granny's. It is inexpensive but tastes very good. It has a bit more sodium but the soup was a staple in my daily life. The soup went well with a sandwich. I highly recommend it for a cheap lunch.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stumbled on your blog and it's fascinating to see what your thoughts of us are! Just a wee comment, Grannies soup is actually made in England by Campbells soup! And it tastes like pish. Spend a wee bitty more and buy Baxters tinned soup for some genuine Scottish recipes.

Add to My Yahoo!
www.executivegiftshoppe.com

Music for your soul

Photos from scottish4ever1

Surveillance-Video - Home Video Security System